Nova Scotia Tree Fruit Research Foundation (NSTFRF)
The Nova Scotia Tree Fruit Research Foundation Incorporated (1988) is dedicated to the encouragement of research in the Tree Fruit Industry of Nova Scotia.
The Nova Scotia Tree Fruit Research Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that was incorporated in 1988 as a means to foster partnerships in research that nurture innovative answers to tree fruit production challenges, this body of the NS Fruit Growers’ Association promotes tree fruit research and development of the tree fruit industry in Nova Scotia through the encouragement of innovative study and the effective transfer of technology to commercial producers and processors.
Through grants and in-king contributions, the Foundation assists in the funding of projects that address long-term research goals that advance the competitive position of the NS tree fruit industry. This organization acts as an advisory body to the NSFGA.
- To promote tree fruit research in Nova Scotia.
- To promote the development of the tree fruit industry in NS through the encouragement of innovative research and the effective transfer of technology to commercial producers and processors.
- To advance the competitive position of the tree fruit industry in NS.
- To develop long term research goals for the NS tree fruit industry.
- Moving forward, to seek funding in support of tree fruit research.
- To act as a liaison between the tree fruit industry and the present research being undertaken on tree fruits.
- To call for research proposals and funding requests for research in areas of identified need.
- To evaluate research proposals and disburse funds to NSFGA Board of Directors for approved research projects based on availability of funds as determined by the NSTFRF Board of Directors.
NSTFRF Board of Directors:
4 Grower Representatives (3-year term)
- Andrew Bishop
- Craig Nichols
- David Power
- Waldo Walsh
2 AAFC Representatives (4-year term)
- Dr. Suzanne Blatt
- Dr. Jun Song
1 Perennia Representative (4-year term) Chair
- Chris Duyvelshoff
1 NSDA/Dalhousie representative (4-year term)
- Dr. Kris Pruski (Dal Agriculture Campus)
NSFGA Executive Director, Candy O’Connor